Thursday, April 9, 2009

So yesterdays meetings were almost entirely not related to what I am doing. Today however I will be meeting with people I need to interview. The weather forecast says that yesterday was the best weather we will get here so I ended up walking around with my free time and took a bunch of pictures.

The internet at the hotel is probably the biggest ripoff I've ever seen in my life. It's 16 dollars for 1 hour, or 35 for 24 hours. I went out and had a steak for dinner last night that was 13 dollars. It's not that things are that expensive here - although they are, but the hotel is blatently ripping off all the business people who come here and have their companies pay for the bill. I've heard the room I'm staying in is over the state dept per diem rate for accommodations which is $260 per night. It's not that nice, and the breakfast buffet service is not that great either.

For those of you that would describe yourself as 'out of the loop', Baku is in Azerbaijan. The country has about 70% of it's population living in the main city here. It's normally a warm place this time of the year, but right now its hovering around 45 which I was not expecting.

I have to change and get ready for work now.

1 comment:

  1. So let's try and be thankful that you are safe, and have something to eat, and can take a nice hot shower. Too bad you don't have a new white T-shirt to put on after you dry yourself off with that clean crisp towel!! I still luv ya! Hope your meetings go well. Keep us posted. Mama

    ReplyDelete