Monday, April 27, 2009

Blending in is hard

I've had only a few problems blending in with the style of dress so far. Always wear a black coat, bundle up, and don't look or smile at anyone. It's been easy to do when it was freezing outside. With this warm weather though, I'm having problems. It's going to be 72 here today, which by all measurements is pleasantly warm weather. For me, its weather for shorts and a t-shirt. To the people here, it's weather for jeans and a light sweater. ...I don't do that. Instead I'm going to be wearing my foreigner badge on my sleeves - and shorts for that matter.

Also, I worked last night from 8 to 2AM. Why? Well since it's going to be nice today (and the entire week) I decided that if I put 4 hours in at night, and another 4 in during the morning, then I can stop work around lunch time and go enjoy the sun. It's one of the perks of not having an actual office or manager.

As for work, I'm almost done with my first feasibility report. It's taken about two days of on and off work so far and I'm hoping to have it almost completed today. The next 13 should go much faster though, as there were many parts of the report that I will be able to copy and paste into the rest of them. For instance the methodology or a breakdown of what each section seeks to analyze.

Finally, working without actual deadlines can be a real problem. In school you knew you had a deadline, and if you didn't make it you got a poor grade. In a traditional job, you'll get fired/reprimanded/ect. But with me, if I decide to slack off and not work too hard tomorrow, well...I'll just have to eventually do the work when I get some motivation. It's probably the biggest blessing and curse of this job. I like working under pressure, and there really is none here.

1 comment:

  1. Mike, Make sure you tell us what you did on the beautiful day? How did the locals react to your shorts? Love the post concerning Mexico. Daddy was laughing out loud. Love, Mama.

    ReplyDelete