Sunday, April 12, 2009

Going to be a boring week

Our hotel is located in the middle of nowhere. We are outside of the 'old city' in one direction, and the main part of the city is in the opposite direction. The hotel room I have looks like it hasn't been updated since the 50s, with 2 small double beds instead of a larger single - although Liudmila has a larger bed. I don't have an actual desk in my room either, but more of a coffee table and two chairs around it. I went looking around the place to find the cafe-bar it mentions but couldn't find anything that resembled a cafe or a bar. Getting any work done will be difficult since I'll be tempted to just take countless naps. I've seen a total of 5 people in the hotel including the two of us.

As for the country, it's certainly poor. There are lots of buildings that look like a bulldozer started tearing them down and then decided to stop and let people move back in. Plenty of shanti housing too on the way just outside the airport.

Don't expect to see any problems from protests here at the hotel. The parliament building in the center of town was about 10 minutes by car from here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike, Happy Easter! I was thinking of you today, sorry i havent been keeping up with the blog. Hope you are well. I love your writing and wish I had more time to catch up on your adventures! I love you, Aunt Mo

    ReplyDelete