Friday, April 17, 2009

One Word

Unibrow.

That's the one word I would use to describe the Caucuses so far. In Azerbaijan I saw plenty of them but at first I thought it was limited only to scientists who are in their labs all day. Then I started seeing them out in the wild at restaurants and on the streets and even attached to sharply dressed business men. Certainly people wearing expensive looking $1000 suits would know better than to accessorize themselves with a thick unibrow. Alas they don't.

Georgia has been no different. I've seen them in all shapes and sizes. Some of them are hard to not stare at. As I've been in the major cities of these countries I've started to wonder if perhaps these unibrows are well manicured and kept up well compared to what I may see in the wild and more rural towns of these countries. I'll get to find out soon as we are leaving to go about 2.5 hours east of here to visit someones in laws for the night. I'm expecting a very scenic trip - apparently we are going through some mountains and historic places.

As I mentioned earlier, it's easter weekend here. Interestingly I've found out they don't celebrate ash Wednesday as a major part of Easter, but Thursday is a pretty big day.

And just to give you an idea of my thought process, I managed to think about Easter being here - about how the fact that there is probably some funny joke I could make about how there are two Easters, then thinking about what holidays they celebrate in heaven. Is everyday christmas and easter? And what about birthdays? It would be a pain in the ass to try to blow out 2000 candles.

Time to hit the road.

4 comments:

  1. I remember a few times when you came home from Chicago and your almost wanna be browuno was gone like dust in the wind...........
    Anyway, don't you be bringing any of those things back with ya. Sarah will say how nice it will go with your mullet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and very very funny post. Be safe in the hills......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see Michael coming back home with a mullet, a wife beater and a unibrow. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And showing up at your house for Easter just like that!!

    ReplyDelete