Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Me tired

So today I left my apartment to go to the conference I was attending at 8:45 AM. I just got home at 11 PM. In the process I learned that going out to dinner means that no matter what you ordered the bill is split evenly, so even though I didn't order a salad or soup, had no tea or coffee, and ordered the cheapest meal, I payed an even split of the bill. I would have been fine paying up to 150 or so since my dinner was 107 and I have no idea what my coke cost, but 240 just doesn't seem fair. Sure, it's about 18 dollars, but I'm trying to be as cheap as humanly possible here. For 240 Hrivna I probably could have eaten for 3 days on my own.

Also, one of the guys who is a consultant and speaking at this thing just flew in today. He's a professor at Stanford and does some other stuff. He seemed like a pretty impressive guy and I was thinking that collectively the things that he and the other speakers/consultants I was out with have done are pretty cool. I could totally see myself doing what they do, and thought he was a pretty interesting guy. Then he asked me if I had any knowledge of the dating services around town because he wanted to go out on a date while he was here. I told him what I knew - which is that I don't know anything except that if you talk English on the streets someone will be sure to hand you a card or brochure telling you where you can find a wife or 'massage'. To this he replied that he wasn't looking for a prostitute, but if he went on a date with someone and ended up taking her back to his hotel room it would be okay. Suddenly I wasn't as impressed with the guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment