Thursday, September 10, 2009

Funny how things change

Although some of you may be too old to know about this, back when "we kids" were in school and "word processors" were new, it was a common trick to make the size of the font bigger so it looked like you wrote more. You could also do the same with the margins. I realize typewriters didn't have such revolutionary technology, but I hope my analogy helps explain this. (As a side note, why are proctologists not analogists, and why does the word analogy have nothing to do with....nevermind)

Anyways, the last few documents I've had to write, I've found myself making the font smaller (is 10.5 acceptable for business writing?), and increasing the margins on all sides of my documents to .8". On some pages, the margins are different than the pages before too - this is because I absolutely hate to have a paragraph that ends a section dangle on to a new and separate page.

Finally, for those of you still trying to make your documents look longer, here's a super secret MBA/grad school trick. Go through your document and change the font size of the periods in your document. While it seems silly, it goes through and adds just that little bit of extra "content" your report may need.

No comments:

Post a Comment