Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dumpster Diving

I have a very popular set of dumpsters outside my apartment. Once or twice a week I come across people digging through them. Usually it's for bottles - they apparently can be recycled for some amount of money. I've had a few awkward moments where I'm heading out somewhere and carrying a bag of trash with me, and there are people digging through the dumpsters. In these cases I've usually just backtracked and put the bag of garbage down on the side of the building and then walked by the guys digging through the trash. It's not just at night either, but in the middle of the day. It's fairly common to see people going around the main square when it's sunny and looking in all of the garbage cans for glass bottles.

I've often wondered if the homeless people who collect the bottles are territorial. In Buenos Aires it was the same families of people going through the garbage every night. But here it appears random. I've wondered if they ever fight about such things, and then my mind wandered over to a DVD of 'Bum Fights: European Edition'. That's about the same time I realized I was going to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment