Thursday, October 29, 2009

How to not make a graph

I've been writing writing and writing lately. I'm almost done with my last sustainability report. After that, I just have to go through all 14 of them and deal with random things - page numbers, finish a few executive summaries, table of contents, ect.

My report on the science lab in Ukraine is the last one I'm writing. Surprisingly, the national academy of sciences publishes a great deal of information in English. To be honest it's MUCH more transparent than I ever would have expected - but mainly because of how much corruption and politicking I've seen from other countries. Anyways, going through the charts and data I came across this beauty of a chart. I think this pretty much illustrates everything that a graphic should not do. (you may need to click on the picture to get a better view of it)

There are WAY too many things going on in this chart. The layout makes it difficult to figure out what data is relevant. It's near impossible to try to pinpoint a specific data point in the various cross sections of data. I could go on but I won't.



Anyways..back to writing. I'm so close I'm actually getting excited to work because it means I'm closer to being done.

1 comment:

  1. You must be going a litte bit crazy and need to get out. If you are looking to grafts to take your mind off of work, you need to find another outlet.
    Sorry to hear about your salad :(

    ReplyDelete