Saturday, October 31, 2009

All hell has broken loose

...and it isn't even a reference to Halloween.

The fear of H1N1, which I will be referring to as H1N2 (H1N1 is so last year), has taken over Ukraine. My trip to Lviv was canceled this weekend because an unidentified viral flu outbreak in western Ukraine that had killed 30 people in a week, with thousands of other people sick. As of last night, they were all confirmed as H1N2. The entire country has ordered a 3 week closing of all schools. Travel from one region of the country to another is being restricted, and apparently Michael Jackson surgical masks are flying off the shelves. (I'm going to the store in a little bit and will bring my camera to see what I can find.) Maybe they help, I don't know. According to the newspaper, there are over 81,000 flu cases in the country so far.

This is ironic in so many ways, because I just finished all of my writing yesterday, meeting a ridiculous deadline that I probably shouldn't have agreed to, and was looking to travel around the country a little bit. As for the writing, the final damages were 212 total pages - most at 11 and 11.5 point font. Of those 134 pages were all original and unique to their respective reports. The other 78 pages were the same introduction to the report over and over in each report - which adds another 6 pages to the 'original' count, bringing it to a solid 140. Last months 45 page document doesn't seem quite as bad anymore.

Anyways, I need to go to the store because I have no food in my apartment besides a half full bag of almonds, some moldy bread from earlier in the week, and a jar of peanut butter. I had been too busy to go shopping during the last week or so. This lead to some interesting dinner ideas. I had almonds and a cut up carrot slices with peanut butter one night. I also washed the same clothes in my washing machine about 6 times as I would start the washer and then forget about them until the end of the day, and at that point they were fairly dry and smelled of mold. Some days I would wash them more than once, thinking I would eventually get back to them to hang them outside to dry. It never happened. Eventually it did though. When I realized I had no clean underwear for the weekend trip I was supposed to take. Which brings us back to H1N2.

Damn you swine flu!

Also, the sun goes down here at 4:30 now. I'm fairly sure there is more solar energy coming off the moon in Ukraine currently.

1 comment: