Monday, July 27, 2009

C & D

Mentioned on the earlier list were these two items:

C) I had no food
D) My apartment smelled like a dead animal

A while back I got an email saying that there was an 'electrical problem' in my apartment. The landlady was checking to see when I was getting back in town to see when she had to have it fixed by. No big deal. When I left nothing was broken, so clearly something happened while I was gone and she was there. As far as I knew that was the end of the story.

So when I got back into my apartment and opened the door, the first thing that came out of my mouth was a four letter word. In addition to being rather hot (it was mid 80's for who knows how many days with no ventilation), I was greeted by the smell of chicken and death. It smelled like someone had left a pack of frozen chicken out in the sun for a week and nobody opened the windows to try to get the smell out. Yeah, welcome home.

It turns out that the 'electrical problem' that happened when I was gone was actually an electrical outage. The landlady isn't exactly sure how long the power was out before she found it, but needless to say, the roughly 10 pounds of frozen chicken I had in my freezer didn't appreciate it. I also had a pack of sauce and meatballs waiting in the freezer that I figured I would eat my first few days back while I restocked my food. That wasn't the case.

I also noticed that one of my containers of JIF peanut butter was missing. I know I didn't use the entire thing before I left. I'm fairly sure that while I was gone the landlady put it in the refrigerator while she was cleaning (as she's done once before). Then, when she was cleaning out my kitchen for things that went bad when the power went out, she must have thrown it away. Clearly this woman doesn't know how peanut butter works.

So for my first two nights back I had a tomato and cucumber salad for dinner with some bread. I hadn't had the time to get anything else. I went out and got them the day I got back. Other than that, the only things still left in my apartment were some cans of tomato paste, an unopened jar of peanut butter, some herbs and spices, and 2 containers of Dave's Insanity Sauce. (Which, while I was looking at the label this weekend, claims it can be used to remove the finish from wooden floors.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike, sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. Good thing you had a great time in MX and the states. Wish I could mail you some meatballs (Mine are better!!) Take care. Love Mama

    ReplyDelete